Bigger than ever, The Lowry’s open day returns on Sunday 6th August for a day full of fun for visitors of all ages
A highlight of The Lowry’s calendar, the annual Open Day at the Salford Arts Centre is back bigger and better than ever for 2023! The FREE event is being held on Sunday 6th August from 10am to 5pm and will feature a wide range of fun and interactive activities for visitors of all ages.
From sneak-peak backstage tours, stand-up comedy to a Hip Hop and breakin’ jam, family-friendly gallery tours – led by some of LS Lowry’s most well-loved characters and an LS Lowry Gin Masterclass, to music & dancing on the Plaza to life-drawing – there’s so much to see and do.
Some of The Lowry’s Partner companies Rambert, Birmingham Royal Ballet, The National Theatre will be running free workshops and offering opportunities to get hands-on. Plus, there’s cupcake making, outdoor games, crafty-families, story-telling – and much more!
There will also be the chance to see Julia and Axel: 30 Years of Favourite Stories; a free family-friendly exhibition in our Galleries celebrating the acclaimed picture-book partnership between Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
Some events need to be pre-booked, but many are drop-in and completely free on the day.
For more information on Open Day 2023, and to book activities visit https://thelowry.com/open-day
- Sneak Peek Backstage A chance to stand on the famous Lyric Theatre stage – the largest outside of London’s West End and get a sneak peek behind the scenes with exclusive access backstage for the day. 10am-4pm / FREE drop-in
- Global Grooves Bringing the colour and rhythm of the Carnival to The Lowry Plaza. 10:30AM, 1PM & 3PM
- Crafty Families Artist-led activities for all the family. 10am-4pm. FREE drop-in
- Family Friendly Lowry Short Talk Go on a short, fun and child focused talk of Lowry Collection with a character from an LS Lowry painting. 11:30am, 12:30pm, 2pm, 3pm / FREE Booking not required
- Gin Masterclass: Tasting and History A 45-minute session to learn all about the history of gin and enjoy sampling a selection of gins including our popular LS Lowry Gin, a collaboration with the Salford-based SIS4ERS DISTILLERY. Aged 18+ / £5 Limited Capacity. Pre-booking recommended / 12:30pm, 2pm and 3:15pm
- Learn ballet steps with Birmingham Royal Ballet Discover the magic of ballet whilst learning steps from The Sleeping Beauty taught by a professional dancer! No previous dance experience is needed to take part, perfect for both ballet fans and newbies alike. Ages 5 – 11 years / FREE Pre-booking recommended / 11am & 1:45pm
- Movement for Theatre Workshop Taking the National Theatre’s spectacular Ocean at the End of the Lane as a starting point join Associate Movement Director Jess Williams to explore choreography and ideas for movement and physical theatre. Age 12+ / FREE Pre-booking recommended / 2:30pm
- Salaam’O’Salaam Jam – a friendly, community focussed Hip Hop and breakin’ jam. Learn some new dance moves from our bboys, ask us a question about the history of Hip Hop or exchange with some of the UK’s Hip-Hop finest dancers in a cypher. There’ll be awesome music, a chance to watch some live battles outdoors and if you’re curious about breakin’ or have seen that it is going to be in the Olympics next year, then join us. FREE drop-in / 12noon & 2:30pm
- Edy Hurst’s joke writing machine and comedy puppet factory Bring out your funny side and have a go at joke writing and making your own comedy puppet with award-winning comedian Edy Hurst. FREE drop-in / 11am – 1.30pm
- Puppet Busking A real treat for the whole family join HandMade Theatre and their animal creatures for some wonderful live music. FREE drop-in / 11:15, 12:15, 2pm
- Persian Dance Performance and Workshop Enjoy a short Persian Dance performance from Community Doosti Dance and maybe even try it yourself! FREE drop-in / 2pm